Church Covenant & Mission Statement
- THE mission of the First Congregational Church of Coventry is to worship and serve God through word and deed. In the name of Jesus, we welcome and include all people as sisters and brothers.
- WE pledge and dedicate our lives and resources to God, working to transform both church and society into more just and compassionate communities.
- WE shall fulfill this mission by faithfully preaching the Gospel, by educating our adults and children and by living out with joy the teachings and example of Jesus Christ.
We are united in striving to know the will of God as taught in the Holy Scriptures, and in our purpose to walk in the ways of the Lord, made known or to be made known to us. We hold it to be the mission of the Church of Christ to proclaim the gospel to all humankind, exalting the worship of the one true God, and laboring for the progress of knowledge, the promotion of justice, the reign of peace, and the realization of human community. Depending as did our parents upon the continued guidance of the Holy Spirit to lead us into all truth, we work and pray for the transformation of the world into the Kingdom of God; and we look with faith for the triumph of righteousness and life everlasting.
Statement of Faith
in the form of a doxology
We believe in you, O God, Eternal Spirit, God of our Savior Jesus Christ and our God, and to your deeds we testify:
- You call the worlds into being,
- create persons in your own image
- and set before each one the ways of life and death.
- You seek in holy love to save all people from aimlessness and sin.
- You judge people and nations by your righteous will declared through prophets and apostles.
- In Jesus Christ, the man of Nazareth, our crucified and risen Savior,
- you have come to us
- and shared our common lot,
- conquering sin and death
- and reconciling the world to yourself.
- You bestow upon us your Holy Spirit,
- creating and renewing the church of Jesus Christ,
- binding in covenant faithful people of all ages, tongues and races.
- You call us into your church
- to accept the cost and joy of discipleship,
- to be your servants in the service of others,
- to proclaim the gospel to all the world
- and resist the powers of evil,
- to share in Christ’s baptism and eat at his table,
- to join him in his passion and victory.
- You promise to all who trust you
- forgiveness of sins and fullness of grace,
- courage in the struggle for justice and peace,
- your presence in trial and rejoicing,
- and eternal life in your realm which has no end.
Blessing and honor, glory and power be unto you. Amen.
Becoming a New Member of First Church
Interested in joining the church? Looking for a faith community? Want to walk the Christian journey with other believers? We would love to be that place for you. We typically install new members twice per year, but will reschedule depending on interest… Call or email Pastor Dave with your interest or questions. And know that you belong from the 1st Sunday on!!! Call (860) 742-8487 to speak directly to Pastor Dave or email at firstname.lastname@example.org